Sunday, July 1, 2012


I've been feeling especially creative this past week, so when I had reorganized the pantry and removed all the white pasta (we are only supposed to give our daughter whole grain stuff from now on), I thought one of the big bags had pasta shaped just the right way to be beads for lacing.

I actually didn't Google this at all and didn't know if it would work, but I took some stainless steel bowls out and divided up some of the pasta into three bowls. Then I squirted a little bit of food colouring into each bowl - just enough to mix onto the dry pasta. It seemed to work quite well. It was really hot and sunny outside, so I decided to dry them out in the sun.

I didn't do anything to set the colour, so I would definitely not have used them anywhere I was worried about colour transfer. And sure enough, the red ones did dirty up the play mat a bit. But no big deal. I unlaced one of my shoes and gave A the go-ahead to start stringing.

She started out by dumping all the 'beads' onto the floor and then rolling around in them :)
She did like trying to string them, but also liked destroying her necklaces after stringing only 10 beads at a time, so we definitely didn't get anywhere near completion, but I wasn't worried about that.

Other things we did:
- Used some plastic egg shells to scoop up the 'beads'
- Used a real egg carton to separate the colours and also mix the colours randomly
- Stick 'beads' in between A's toes and then she would squeeze them out, resulting in a lot of giggling!

All in all a really great afternoon craft. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment